Moving blog hosts!
I have moved my blog host. I wanted to let you all know you can still follow my blog by visiting www.flawlessbylaurenblog.com. I hope you will sign up to follow my blog and you can even sign up for email updates!
Thanks everyone. Happy tumblr-ing!
It’s beach season! I looooove feeling the sand between my toes and hearing the sounds of the ocean. It’s definitely my “happy place”. In fact, my hubby and I made a pact to plan on retiring in the Isle of Palms one day. Oh boy, I cannot wait for that day to get here (soooo many years from now).
I’m headed to Sanibel, Florida next week to celebrate the 4th of July with some of my favorite people - my family. I’ve never been to Sanibel before, but I hear it is absolutely gorgeous! While I was planning in my head what I was going to pack, I immediately starting thinking of what my beach necessities would be. So, here is what I came up with. These items will definitely be in my beach bag on the beaches of Sanibel!
- Yes to Blueberry Face Wipes: you might remember these from this post. They were a Birchbox favorite! Perfect for wiping that salt water off of your face and keeping your skin fresh, not sticky!
- Wide Tooth Comb: since it’s windy on the beach, it’s nice to have a comb with you to brush out your wet hair so it doesn’t become a tangled mess!
- Dove Deodorant: I love the Dove cucumber and green tea deodorant. It smells amazing, and keeps your pits smelling good too :)
- Banana Boat quick dry scalp and body sunscreen: a peeling scalp is the WORST. I was introduced to this scalp sunscreen last year and fell in love. It keeps those harmful rays away from your scalp like a dream!
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer dry-touch sunscreen: you should apply sunscreen any time you are out in the sun and reapply every 30 minutes. This Neutrogena sunscreen is great for the face. It’s one of my mom’s favorites too.
- Banana Boat Cool Zone spf 30: what did we do before spray sunscreen? I don’t know, but I love this stuff. Easy to apply and dries quick!
- Telescopic Waterproof mascara: I mentioned telescopic in this post. I love their waterproof version and would highly recommend it for a day on the beach.
- Floppy beach hat: I always take a hat with me. I bought one similar to the above at Target two years ago and it’s a great sunblocker, plus looks stylish. It is also nice and floppy so it folds up into my beach bag perfectly!
- J.Crew Boardwalk beach tote: I bought this beach bag at the J.Crew outlet not too long ago. Love the color and it’s the perfect size.
- Benetint Benefit Lip Balm: you’ve seen me blog about this stuff before here. It’s a great lip balm with spf and a hint of color.
- Stila bronzer: I’ve blogged about this little guy here. I love to keep a bronzer with me just in case a photo-op appears and I’m lookin’ rough :)
- Twistbands: I blogged about these yesterday. Perfect for your beach bag! I’m always reaching for a hair tie when I get out of the water. These can also go in the water with you :)
- Sunglasses: This is an obvious one… but the reason I included is because while I love my designer sunglasses, it’s also nice to own a cheap (but cute) pair for the beach. You never know when you might lose them, drop them in the sand (or ocean), sit on them, etc. If you have a cheap pair, you won’t be as heartbroken! A great place to buy an inexpensive pair is Target, Marshalls, or T.J. Maxx!
What’s in your beach bag?!
I came across the most awesome hair ties. A coral twistband was in my May Birchbox and at first I didn’t even pay attention to what it was. I normally go straight for the beauty products. That is, until I needed a hair tie one day. I was in a hurry and the only thing I saw laying around was the coral twistband from my Birchbox. I grabbed it and was out the door.
While at Pilates that night, I realized for the first time I wasn’t constantly tightening my pony. The twistband stayed so secure and when I took it out there were no hairs dangling from the tie. You know what I’m talking about, you always pull out at least 2-3 hairs when removing a hair tie. Not with twistbands! These things are awesome.
I ended up buying a few hair tie size twistbands and then got a headband to try out. W-O-W! I love the pony tail bands, but the headband is amazing. It doesn’t fall down or need to be bobby pinned back. It stays in place perfectly throughout a long workout or those days when you just want your hair out of your face.
HUGE BONUS: They come in all sorts of colors/patterns/sizes. You can even design your own here!
If you are looking for a great hair tie or a headband, give twistbands a try. I promise you won’t regret it. And, if you haven’t signed up for your Birchbox yet, click here to sign up :)
TJ Maxx purchase today. Love a new purse :) #Maxxinista
I saw this recipe in the latest edition of InStyle and immediately ripped it out and placed it on my to-do list for cocktail making in the near future. (aka: this weekend)
The best part? Low in cals (100 per serving), high in taste!
Summer Skinny Sangria
1 bottle (750 ml) pinot noir
1/4 cup brandy
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1 lime, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 orange, thinly sliced
1 apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 kiwi, thinly sliced
1 cup club soda
1 cup diet ginger ale
In a chilled pitcher, mix wine, brandy, and fruit; refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge, add club soda and diet ginger ale, then pour into ice-filled glasses. Makes 6 to 8 services. Per serving: 100 calories, 0g fat, 7g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 0g protein, 130 mg sodium.
Start making this tonight and have a YUMMY drink for tomorrow!
(recipe credit: InStyle Magazine - The Miracle Carb Diet)
My friend, Mallory, sent me her favorite lip gloss layering pair! I wanted to share with everyone since I was excited to hear someone else’s layering technique!
On the left is Jane Iredale - Cotton Candy and on the right is Nars - Turkish Delight (which Mal told me is Kim Kardashian’s fave!!). Mal’s lips sure do look hotttttt with this duo!
Happy Friday :)
thecooknook said: have you tried the seche vite topcoat? and if so, how does it compare to the essie good to go?
I have tried the Seche Vite and it does dry fast… but what I don’t like about it is how quickly my nails chip after using. I know it says it helps with chipping, but I have only ever really been pleased with Essie - Good to Go. It dries fast AND doesn’t chip.
Top coat lovin’!
Who here loves a shiny clear top coat? Me, me, me, pick me, I do, I do!! I never paint my nails without adding a top coat. It finishes off the look, plus adds shine! If you don’t use a top coat, or want to invest in a quality one, here are my favorites!
Essie - Good to Go: This top coat can be bought at your local pharmacy that carries Essie polish or Target (or online!). It’s great when you’re in a hurry because it dries SO FAST! Literally I think this stuff dries solid in 60 seconds. Love it.
Essie - 3-Way Glaze: This is your perfect 3-in-1. It’s a base coat, a nail strengthener, and a top coat all in one. This is a great buy if you like to sport just clear polish every now and then, but still like a pop of color in your life when you’re feeling frisky! You can wear this polish by itself or as a top coat. Add a layer on the base of your nails to prevent YNS (yellow nail syndrome) if you love to keep your nails painted!
The color I’m wearing in the far left photo is Essie - Cute as a Button. The perfect pinky/coral for the summertime! Work that top coat, ladies!!
A match made in heaven.
The little guy on the left, Stainiac, is a lip and cheek stain made by The Balm Cosmetics. This was a prize in my June Birchbox! An instant favorite.
The gloss is "Like Venus" Dazzleglass by MAC. Pairing the two together, stainiac first and dazzleglass second, will give you this pretty pink you see on the right.
I love layering lip gloss. It’s a fun way to make new colors… plus, the stainiac helps your color last longer!